Published by Andrew on 4 April 2018
Ride along canal towpaths and through ancient villages for a good cause – the 2018 Cancer Support France bike ride.
Freewheeling France is again supporting the annual Cancer Support France charity bike ride. The event to raise funds and awareness for the excellent work of Cancer Support France.
After previously successful rides along the Canal du Midi in 2015 (report here), the Canal de Garonne in 2016 and the eastern end of the Midi in 2017, there’s another great canal route lined up for 2018. It's set to be the longest challenge yet.
The 2018 Cycle for Life route
This time, it’s an 11-day ride covering nearly 600km and taking riders from the Atlantic coast all the way to the Mediterranean sea along the famous Canal des Deux Mers, which combines the Canal de Garonne and Canal du Midi. This year's dates are May 19-31, so not too hot, either.
It's a great chance to combine wonderful cycling with helping a great cause.
You can sign up for the full 11 days or choose to ride a single stage. The majority of the route follows canal paths or quiet back roads, so it’s ideal for mountain bikes or hybrids, or road bikes with wider tyres. The exact route and distances are listed below.
- Saturday 19 May: Royan - Blaye (81km)
- Sunday 20 May: Blaye - Bordeaux (47km)
- Monday 21 May: Rest day (Bordeaux)
- Tuesday 22 May: Bordeaux - La Réole (69km)
- Wednesday 23 May: La Réole - Agen (78km)
- Thursday 24 May: Agen - Montech (70km)
- Friday 25 May: Montech - Toulouse (47km)
- Saturday 26 May: Toulouse - Castelnaudary (48km)
- Sunday 27 May: Castelnaudary - Carcassonne (39km)
- Monday 28 May: Rest day (Carcassonne)
- Tuesday 29 May: Carcassonne - Le Somail (58km)
- Wednesday 30 May: Le Somail - Agde (58km)
- Thursday 31 May: Agde - Marseillan Plage - Agde (21km)
The ride is an informal event, with participants planning their own bike hire and accommodation, though support is available from charity partners.
Accommodation and bike hire along the route
A good cause - about Cancer Support France
The bike ride helps Cancer Support France raise awareness of the work their volunteers do to support English-speaking people living with or affected by cancer in France. They provide reassurance and practical support to help English speakers and their families deal with the impact of cancer, navigate the French health system and find the support they need at a difficult time.