Published by Lyn on 25 January 2016
Hilde Morris stayed at Hotel la Residence in Narbonne when she cycled the Canal du Midi. Here's her review.
Email email@example.com if you know a great bike-friendly place to stay in France
- Guidebook for cycling the Canal de Garonne - Bordeaux to Toulouse
- Guidebook for the cycling the Canal du Midi - Toulouse to Sete
We rode to Narbonne along the Canal de la Robine, which shoots off the Canal du Midi. We followed the Canal de la Robine into the heart of this lovely Roman town. It was a short ride of around 27 kilometres, which left us plenty of time to explore Narbonne given we arrived by lunch time.
I cannot speak too highly of this hotel. What a total delight! Staff lovely, great room, great breakfast, perfectly situated to explore the town. But what I loved most was the place itself: it still feels like the rather grand family home that it once was – the décor is superb. Totally modern but everything – the pictures, the lamps, the furniture – is in keeping with the lovely old fin du siecle banisters and the stunning black marble fireplaces.
What a find! This is a superb place to stay.
When we managed to drag ourselves out of the hotel, we spent the afternoon wandering around the old town on foot, taking in the magnificent 13th century cathedral, climbing the famous tower, checking out the Roman paving and generally relaxing.
5 things we liked
1. The welcome: The staff here were lovely. We were cycling to the coast the following day (our last) and so only had an afternoon to fit everything in, but lovely Patricia at reception was so helpful with her local advice and we saw everything.
2. Location: Just perfect, a few metres from the Canal du Midi and right in the centre of Narbonne. From the hotel door, it's easy to explore the most interesting bits of the town on foot.
3. The stunning building itself: A 19th century family home, it's beautifully decorated and very modern inside, yet decorated and furnished totally in keeping with the beautiful original fire places, chandeliers and central spiral staircase. A real treat!
4. Our quiet, lovely room looking out over the little backyard and over to the Cathedral towers.
5. Security for our bikes – under cover but easily accessible ...
... and another thing (can I sneak in a no. 6?): WONDERFUL BREAKFASTS!!!!